Businesses becoming increasingly technology intensive. As a result, companies are shifting to digital while optimizing core systems and operations.
Digital is reshaping strategy. Efficient and effective use of digital technologies has become fundamental to companies’ competitiveness and their growth.
Digital Transformation requires many different capabilities and skillsets:
Digital Strategy | Experience Design | Content & Creative | Architecture
Web, Mobile & App Development | Integration (Web Services + APIs) | Analytics
While in many sectors the time for digital has come, developing the required skillsets and capabilities in-house can take years. A Fortune 500 company, for instance, recently embarked on a digitization initiative—a move prompted in part by increased competition from online players and eroding margins. The goal was to scale up quickly, but in assessing their needs, leadership realized they lacked necessary expertise in a number of critical technology areas, including high volume e-commerce platforms, user-experience design and agile software development.
Most existing IT organizations are equipped only to manage smaller-scale incremental projects but not a full-scale transformation initiative. Hiring, developing, and retaining the appropriate talent would require a sustained effort. To better compete, Fortune 500 companies adopt a dynamic approach to sourcing digital capabilities from outside the organization. In large part, this will require learning to balance the two digitization fronts—more dynamic customer-facing front-end systems and applications and slower changing back-office and legacy transactional systems.
Every business unit today must have an answer to the question, “What is your digital strategy?” Understanding where you are, where you’re going and why is crucial to getting there successfully.
- Brand & marketing strategy
- Digital channel strategy
- Site & device & platform strategy
- Media and content strategy
- Social media monitoring/strategy
When the CIO, CMO or CDO comes in to define a digital strategy, they spend a lot of time thinking about the customer needs and the full customer journey to find ways to enhance the company’s offering and better engage with customers across all devices. They think beyond the standard website and internal software to more creative ways to improve the customer experience.
- User research and analysis
- Persona development
- Customer Journey Mapping (Omni-channel Experiences)
- Information architecture
- Embedded device interface
- Heuristic analysis
- GOMS modeling
- User research
Content and Creative
Telling great stories is the best way to make brands interesting to consumers.
- Graphic design
- Content creation
- Infographics & icon creation
- Video production/editing (AutoPlay videos, YouTube, Live Streaming – Periscope, Meerkat)
- Style guide development
Web, Mobile and E-commerce development
Build world class mobile, web, intranets, internets, microsites, mapping and social media applications using the latest in web technology (HTML 5, Angular JS etc.).
- Mobile web/app development
- Responsive Websites
- Wearable Apps
- Games, VR, viral and other non-traditional digital media
Digital Cloud Platforms – Sales, Marketing, Commerce, Service, Community
- Project & Program Management – Services to plan, mobilize, and execute Cloud projects
- Design; Build & Test – Enable rapid development of Cloud solutions, with a tailored deliver model to meet the cost, quality and schedule expectations of clients.
- Integration – Whether a Cloud solution is deployed as a point solution, or as part of a broad transformation, it will typically be necessary to integrate it with other systems in the organization’s IT landscape. For example, integration with the Data Warehouse; Master Data Management (MDM) System; Compliance/Audit systems etc.
- Data Migration – Migration of data and files from existing CRM, ERP or custom applications to the Cloud platform. Includes development of a solution for data migration, reconciliation, technical architecture development, mock/production migration preparation & execution.
- Deployment – Encompassing Go-live preparation, Go-Live execution and post Go-Live support services are designed to support incremental or ‘big-bang’ approaches
- Transition – At the end of the project or program, enable transition to the new run model. E.g, empowering business users to build custom reports and perform certain configuration tasks; training the 1st and 2nd line application support staff in incident capture, analysis and resolution.
- Change management – supporting Cloud implementations by conducting and/or facilitating the necessary change management, organization transformation, training, performance support, and leadership activities to drive adoption and value realization.
Digital Integration (Web Services, APIs, Enterprise Service Bus (ESB))
Use of various technologies to build out customer touchpoint integration across multiple platforms, screens, devices and apps.
- API and Web Services Development
- Technology integration
- Application integration
- Data Integration
Understanding the roles of different channels in the path to purchase is a key focus for every firm.
- Management and optimization
- Measurement, analysis and reporting
- Mobile Analytics
- Log Analytics
The Future is Bright…
Digital customers, digital channels and digital markets are accelerating the pace of change in every industry and I believe this will continue. I also see the Industrial Internet of Things as a major growth engine.
I see digital demand in every industry and every geography. Companies are aggressively creating and shaping the next generation of business models, operating practices and customer experiences. Disrupt the existing ways of doing business is definitely the trend.